Senior Ornithologist / Ecologist
Experienced Ornithologist required to join an Ecology Team in Dublin to work on their expanding portfolio of projects in Ireland and the UK. You will be based in their office which overlooks Dun Laoghaire Harbour and Dublin Bay, ideally placed for some lunchtime bird watching.
You’ll deliver a range of technical inputs, combining your ornithology expertise with analytical and reporting skills. This is a varied and exciting role which will include involvement in a range of coastal, onshore and other infrastructure projects.
Candidates will have five or more years’ experience working in a consultancy / regulatory role / research in the environmental assessment field. A proven track record of working on Environmental Impact Assessment and Appropriate Assessment processes is desirable. Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) or similar is also desirable.
- Degree in Ecology or a related biological/environmental science subject with an ecological component.
- Ornithological expertise with accompanying skills to collate and analyse large data sets.
- Excellent report writing skills and verbal communication abilities.
- Familiar with relevant Irish and European legislation e.g. Habitats Directive, Birds Directive, EIA Directive, Birds and Natural Habitats Regulations.
- Knowledge of Appropriate Assessment as per Article 6 of the Habitats Directive
- Excellent report writing skills.
- A hard working and highly motivated individual – client focused with good interpersonal skills and team approach.
- Full Clean Driving Licence.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to record data efficiently and methodically.
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant ecological discipline which includes practical experience.
- Previous work experience within a professional ecological consultancy (or relevant eNGO or academic experience if applicable).
- Excellent field skills and a keen interest and understanding of Irish wildlife.
- Demonstrated field survey experience in ecology e.g. habitat classification (Fossitt), badger, otter, bat, bird and invasive species surveys.
- Experience in compiling Ornithological Impact Assessment or Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) reports and Appropriate Assessment on the likely impacts of proposed developments, and recommending and designing appropriate mitigation measures.
- Experience of licensable activities/surveys for protected species such as bat, badger or otter.
- Membership of CIEEM or working towards membership of CIEEM.
- Experience utilising GIS systems e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS and or others.